Technology for societal applications
Activities of National Importance in the State of West Bengal
Department of Agricultural & Food Engineering
- The department is engaged on working in the area of precision agriculture to modernize the conventional practices and sustainable food security, nutrient enriched designer food production and its mechanization in West Bengal.
- The Department is actively engaged in organizing several grass root level activities that includes Farmer’s Training, Krishi Mela, Agri-Expo where the sharing of newly developed machineries and soil/water and other agri-related activities are shown to the farmers through the centrally funded projects (FIM, PFDC, etc.).
- The Department is also organizing various level training programs that includes the state level DIC, GM, ADOS, FSOs and many others State Level Officials to upgrade the knowledge of the recent happenings in Agricultural and rural based technologies. Need based advisories to local farmers are also provided
- The Department is also organizing training programs and participate in the survey activities of the machineries used and their safety/ ergonomic design. They also collect the anthropometric data
- The Department organizes various promotional activities of newly developed machineries through RuTAG program to reduce the drudgery of rural fokes/ populations engaged in tradition agricultural practices. Both the on-farm and off-farm machineries and their proper training are being provided to improve their livelihood and improving the income generation
- The Department is actively engaged to interact with the FPOs/ SHGs/ NGOs and the need based advisories for improving the income generation and constrains faced by them. The Department is actively engaged in Entrepreneur development through NABARD sponsored Agri-Business Incubation Foundation Centre and RKVY-RAFTAAR and also provide a suitable platform for proper execution of their ideas to reality
- The Department is actively engaged in participating the Joint Projects sponsored by different Central/State funding agencies for conducting research activities along with the PhD guidance. The Department is also engaged in organizing different training programs to the students at various level that includes undergraduates, postgraduates and PhD level from various State Universities. The faculty members of this Department are invited to act as a Board of Studies member/ Chairperson of various subjects to be introduced in the newly established Universities/ examiner of different academic activities
- The faculty members are invited as a resource person to deliver the key note address for various workshop/ conference/ symposium
- The faculty members are actively involved in various confidential activities of College Service Commission
- The faculty members are developing several technologies and its proper dissemination to various industries for commercialization
- Showcasing various technologies to local school children of the state.
Department of Biotechnology
- Outreach programs to train farmers, unemployed youths in the adjoining Districts of West Bengal about cultivation of tissue culture products (banana and pineapples etc.) through STEP (Science & Technology Entrepreneurship Park).
- Outreach programs to train College/University students in the adjoining Districts of West Bengal about sophisticated analytical instruments with the help of CRF (Central Research Facility).
Centre for Computational and Data Sciences(CCDS)
- Dedication of the PARAM Shakti supercomputer to the nation by Hon’ble Governor of West Bengal. The high performance computer was installed under the national supercomputing mission.
Computer Science and Engineering
- Development and deployment of Telemedicine Systems with installation in several hospitals. Made the Telemedicine Software open-source to make it available for entrepreneurs.
- Development of Patient Management System for NICU and deployed at SSKM Hospital Kolkata.
- Geospatial Analytics for Socio-economic Interventions for Promoting Rural Livelihoods in Post-Pandemic Era (Study area: Paschim Medinipur district)
Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law (RGSOIPL)
- Capacity building for judicial officers by conducting training at Judicial Academy, Kolkata, West Bengal. IPR awareness and training at other important institutes of the state of West Bengal e.g. Ordinance Board at Ichhapore, Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institutes etc.
- Help in drafting IPR Policy of West Bengal. Law school faculty serve as invited experts in the West Bengal Science & Technology Council and other policy development exercise like developing wetland policy.
- Research and field level documentation of Geographical Indication (GI) in West Bengal. Work on socio-economic aspects and legal implementation on foodstuff GIs with case studies from West Bengal such as, Joynagar Moa, Bardhaman Mihidana and Sitabhog etc.
- Regular training of women scientists under KIRAN-IPR program, the benefit of which goes mostly to women scientists of West Bengal. IPR training to Atal Tinkering Lab., School and College students of West Bengal.
- Service to MSMEs in West Bengal in the form of IPR awareness through training and workshops and helping them in filing IP. The work has been carried out in association with District Industrial Centres of Paschim Medinpore, Bankura and Purulia.
- Providing legal aid service in the nearby region and association with District Legal Service authority. A Pro Bono Club is established which aims to promote the Pro Bono culture among the Indian legal fraternity. Its activities are guided by the Nyaya Bandhu Scheme of the Department of Justice, Ministry of Law and Justice, Government of India.
Centre of Excellence for Indian Knowledge Systems
Books and IKS calendars 2012, 2022 and 2023 of national repute and huge International outreach and dissemination
- International Conference
After the second International Conference on IKS - ‘Bharat Tirtha -II’ was organized by the CoE-IKS from 14th to 18th June 2022. It constituted of plenary sessions, talks, exhibitions and panel discussions on a wide range of Indian Knowledge Systems by scholars of International repute.
- International and National Workshops and Symposium
The CoE-IKS organized a National Symposium titled ‘Āyurdhārā - the Ayurveda Continuum’ on the 4th and 5th of November 2022 in association with AKAM Secretariat, Ministry of Culture, Government of India, SMST, IIT Kharagpur and B.C. Roy Multi-specialty Research Centre, IIT Kharagpur. This was the first ever event organized at the IIT Kharagpur Research Park, Kolkata.
- A national level Faculty Development Program titled ‘Bauddhika Ātmanirbharatā’ focused on Recovery, Positioning and Mainstreaming of India’s Knowledge Systems conducted from 22nd November to 9th December 2022 as supported by AICTE-IKs wing of Ministry of Education, Government of India and other organizations of national repute.
Department of Ocean Engineering & Naval Architecture
- Name of the Project: Centre for Inland and Coastal Maritime Technology (CICMT). Name of the Sponsoring Agency: Ministry of Shipping, Government of India. Total Project Cost: Rs. 69.2 crores. Construction of a Shallow/ Deep water Seakeeping & Manoeuvring Basin (first of its kind in India) at IIT Kharagpur.
- Name of the Project: Development of Bio-Mimetic Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (BAUV) for Maritime Surveillance (Phase I). Name of the Sponsoring Agency: Naval Research Board (NRB), Ministry of Defence, Govt. of India. Total Project Cost: Rs. 3.6 crores. Design, development and fabrication of a biomimetic AUV for operating in the sea coast around India.
- Name of the Project: Design, development, model testing and CFD analysis of a new generation Electric Inland passenger Ferry for operating in Hooghly River, Kolkata. Name of the Sponsoring Agency: GARDEN REACH SHIPBUILDERS and ENGINEERS LTD, Kolkata. The objective of the project is development of a new generation fully electric inland passenger ferry for operating in Hooghly River, West Bengal.
Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Sustainable Food Security Through Technological Interventions for Production Processing and Logistics (food distribution planning, implementation NFSA).
- Future of cities (segmentation study of public transport) project.
- Socio-economic Impact of Migration during COVID-19 Crisis in the Sundarbans Region: A Study of Sustainable Solutions using Geo-spatial Analytics
- Train scheduling algorithm for railway traffic at Howrah Station (Kumar, R., Sen, G., Kar, S., & Tiwari, M. K. (2018). Station dispatching problem for a large terminal: A constraint programming approach. Interfaces, 48(6), 510-528.)
- Development of Safety Management Systems and Safety Analytics for people at workplace.
- Year-long Safety Awareness Program under Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
Department of Geology and Geophysics
- Seismic Microzonation of Kolkata City on mission mode in collaboration with West Bengal Civil Defence, West Bengal Department of Science and Technology & Disaster Management. AUTHORITY funded by the Ministry of Earth Sciences Govt. of India. The report is on the website of both MoES and West Bengal Govt.
- Establishment of a strong motion earthquake monitoring station in Darjeeling.
- Seismic stations were installed in West Bengal (Labong, Kalimpong, Manebhanjan, Dudhiya, Sukhani Basti, Dipdara, Targhera, Bagdogra, Bidhannagar, Islampur) during 2019 to Jan, 2023 for monitoring of earthquakes.
- Investigation of Uranium Mineralization in Purulia district.
- Quantifying the groundwater quantity/availability and quality across the West Bengal (including agriculture food production) (provided input to National Water Policy)
- Understanding groundwater pollution from geogenic pollutants like Arsenic (contributing to Jal Jeevan Mission), The flow and drying of Ganga River (contributed to Namami Gange Mission)
- Site characterization for putting earthing pits to avoid lightening hazard for Indian Air Force, Salua and Kalaikonda.
- Development of algorithm to forecast earthquakes on the basis of GPS time series and Seismicity Fractal patterns.
- Development of an algorithm to forecast unwanted underground coal mines roof fall on the basis of Micro-Seismicity Fractal patterns.
- Study of ground subsidence due to old mine working as well as illegal mining activities.
- Engineering geological studies related with construction of dams, tunnels.
- Remote Sensing studies related with landslides, flood, crop pattern etc.
- Flyash pollution monitoring and disposal studies.
- Scientific studies related with Coal investigation and mine planning, etc.
Department of Physics
- Our PMRF students are sharing the courses of the nearby colleges. It has been proved to be of immense help for the students of teacher deficient colleges.
- Many students of local colleges are benefitted by the laboratory facilities of our Department for their project work.
- Some of our sponsored projects are targeted in uplifting the quality of life in the state.
- Many of our Faculties and students are associated with NGOs and contributing generously for the welfare of the economically backward class of this state.
Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Actively participated in “Technology Travels to Villages”, a rural outreach project of IIT Kharagpur
- Undertaken Monitoring and Evaluation of several Development Projects (MGNREGA, NFSA, Rural Infrastructure, etc.)
- Participated in SANDHI projects with a special thrust on Indic Perspectives
- Involved in Food Security Projects, including Millet Mission
- Developed Curriculum and Experimental Tools on Environment and Happiness Education for School Children
- Engaged in Community Development Programs, Sustainable Environment, and Happiness Projects
- A book on “COVID-19, Older Adults and Ageing Societies” adjudged as 'among the top 20 titles having global relevance' (Rutledge)
- Organized several short-term courses, training programs, and workshops (SIMAP, Soft Skills, Interpersonal Communication, HR, Research Methods, etc.)
- Language Technology Development for Minority Languages (Mundari, Santali, etc.) and developing materials for "Early Literacy"
Cryogenic Engineering Centre
- 28th edition of National Symposium on Cryogenics & Superconductivity (NSCS-28) was held on October 18 to 21, 2022, organized by Cryogenic Engineering Centre, at Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur. About 300 participants including researchers from scientific organizations (Indian Space Research Organization-ISRO, Department of Atomic Energy, etc.), faculties, students, and industry professionals from all over India and foreign delegates from different parts of the world joined together for three days of presentations, short-term courses and networking sessions. Additionally, more than 15 industries came together and exhibited their wide range of products. The technical program of symposium was divided based on various categories into 15 Technical sessions including 13 Oral and 2 poster sessions.
Department of Civil Engineering
- Working with Field Operations Bureau, Medinipur, Central Bureau of Communications, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Govt. of India on promotion of Swachh Bharat Mission Activities in Rural West Bengal
- Provided Technical advice in various stages of construction of Metro railways in Kolkata
- Provided Technical advice and Auditing for construction of Tallah ROB in Kolkata
- Provided technical advice for maintenance and rehabilitation of 2nd Hooghly River bridge
- Capacity building in various Government department in water supply and public health issues
- Road safety vision document and road map for West Bengal
- Road safety audit & Engineering interventions, speed management and enforcement, road safety education, and capacity building in various levels of the Government for West Bengal Traffic Police, Transport department, Kolkata traffic Police and PWD
- Developed a rational methodology based on Load and Resistance Factor based Design for bamboo reinforced concrete members in flexure for the application in rural Bengal
- Assessment of climate change impact on water resources and solar energy
Ranbir and Chitra Gupta School of Infrastructure Design and Management (RCGSIDM)
- Development of Drivers License Manual for West Bengal
- Development of Speed Management Manual for West Bengal
- Development of Infrastructure Satisfaction and Happiness Index for Newtown Kolkata Development Authority
- Assessing feasibility of Transit Oriented Development (TOD) around Metro Rail Stations in Kolkata
Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Several faculty members of mechanical engineering department have developed NPTEL and Swayam/Swayam-Prabha courses where residents of any state including the state of West Bengal can participate and have participated.
- Several virtual laboratories have been developed by the faculty members of mechanical engineering department (including faculty members of other departments) Under the National Mission on Education through ICT (Virtual Laboratory) where residents of any state including the state of West Bengal can participate and have participated virtually.
- Several outreach programmes have been conducted by the faculty members of mechanical engineering department (including faculty members of other departments) both in online and offline mode in engineering colleges located in West Bengal.
- Covirap has been developed and the technology was transferred for commercialisation. This technology helps in rapid detection Covid 19 and the same technology may be adopted for other viral diseases. This technology is applicable for residents of any state including West Bengal.
- Design of acoustics of several government auditoriums for West Bengal Government.
- Low cost haemoglobin detection in human blood using a paper based micro-fluidic colourimetric technology. The same technology has been transferred for commercialisation. This technology is applicable for residents of any state including West Bengal particularly under rural healthcare environment.
Department of Mining Engineering
- Permanent long-term Stabilization along with a certification in a complete package for an unstable stretch of 300 m. NH-2 Bye pass road near Dalmia in connection with the implementation of Raniganj Master Plan’,(Project Code-PRMP) sponsored by ECL Sanctoria, completed: 2020, Budget: Rs. 170.04 lakhs.
- Stabilization with all Preparatory Work on Drilling, Supervision, Stabilization, Monitoring the Effectiveness of the Filing Technique and Certification for Long Term Stability with Submission of Report for an Unstable Stretch of Ratibati Colliery DB Road approx. 550m in Length under Satgram Area of ECL for Implementation of Raniganj Master Plan (Project Code-OPSM)’, sponsored by ECL, Completed Project: 07-07-2020 to 31-12-2022, Budget: Rs. 227.10 lakhs.
- Stabilization with all preparatory work on drilling, supervision stabilization, monitoring the effectiveness of the filling technique and certification for long-term stability with submission of report for unstable stretches 150m and 100m in length of Andal Sitarampur railway line near Chinchuria Station under Salanpur area of ECL for implementation of Raniganj master plan (Project Code-SPDS), sponsored by ECL, Running Project: 22
Department of Architecture & Regional Planning
- Declaration of Cooch Behar as Heritage Town for Urban Development and Municipal Affairs Dept., Town and Country Planning Branch, Govt. of West Bengal. The project involved preparation of Land Use and Development Control Plan (LUDCP) for Cooch Behar Municipality, under which a Heritage Development and Management Plan (HDMP) was prepared. As an outcome, 155 properties were statutorily listed as heritage. Action Area Plans were prepared for two Heritage Precincts. Ammendments to legal istruments were proposed, some of which are already implemented (West Bengal Municipal Act).
- Mobility Improvement Plan for NDITA Planning and Design of Bicycle Track along the Saltlake Bypass Road, Kolkata for NDITA, Govt. of West Bengal.
- Revision/Amendment of the Landuse and Development Control Plan For Old Haldia Planning Area for Haldia Development Authority. Preparation of LUDCP and LUMR for Old Haldia Plannign Area with a population of approximately 5.17 lac and area of 326.85 sq km.
- District Human Development Report, Paschim Medinipur, West Bengal for Department of Planning and Statistics Government of West Bengal. Human Development indicators which is considered as the single indicator that explains the ‘quality of life’ in aggregate in each of the twenty-one concerned Blocks of Paschim Medinipur, is the ultimate reflection of all development efforts. It is also indicative of human capability varying over spatial units, sectors and sections of population. The Human Development Report thus provides a holistic vision of development of a region in which human welfare and human well-being are integral parts of economic, social and institutional developments.